Friday, August 27, 2010

Chairperson of the (Notice)Board

Look my SEXY desk...


Ohh, yeah baby. Just look at all that glorious workspace. WORK IT, BABY!

OK, so it's just a pile of IKEA crap, and it's not huge in the scheme of things, but compared to my previous work areas it's a step up. I really like the A-frame leg with the shelves, so I've got somewhere to store my sewing machine, or my lap-top, where it's easy to reach. But wait there's more! I've got natural light, too! Oh, bliss.

In order to maximise space on the shiny new desk, I wanted to have a noticeboard on which to keep all the random bits of paper, pamphlets, cards, etc. that I squirrel away. So, I made one, mostly out of recycled materials, plus some crap I had lying around. And tape.

I started with a large piece o' crap from an op shop:


(I mean, WTF is that? Who wants a huge picture of THAT car, of all cars?)

Next, I added two layers of corrugated cardboard, cut from boxes and trimmed and taped together to fit the backing board. This was for the pins to stick in. The bottom layer is made of a bunch of little bits mosaic-ed together (in order to not waste cardboard), and the top layer is from two larger pieces. I felt like putting the larger pieces on top would help it hold together better.


If I'd been really drowning in cardboard, I reckon three layers would be even better. But two seems to work perfectly well.

To make it look purdy, I stretched some fabric over it, a la a painting canvas.


The fabric is some blue hessian I have left over from a costume party some time ago. I'm really glad I was able to re-use it like this, because if there's one thing I learned at that costume party, it's that there's a very good reason why hessian isn't used for clothes.

End result: Storage FTW! (nb. It's not actually hanging off that nail in the wall, it's sitting on my desk. The string is just to keep it from falling forward.)


Man, yeah, I'm pretty proud of that.

1 comment: