Friday, April 10, 2009

Just Dandy.

I love blowing seeds off dandelions, even though I know they're a weed and doing this just spreads the seeds around the garden. But, I like the bright splashes of yellow they create in the lawn. I think I like the seed heads even more though - they are so ethereal, and always a bit nostalgic for me. They remind me of being little and playing in the backyard.

I was looking at a dandelion seed head a while ago, and I thought it's make a really good embroidery. I haven't done any embroidery in ages - I used to do a lot of counted cross-stitch when I was a kid. Anyway, counting, schmounting. I just did a sketch, and marked it out roughly with chalk on a jumper and went for it. Oh, actually, I tacked a piece of cotton to the inside of the area to be decorated, to reinforce the stitches and stop them from getting stretched and distorted in the embroidery hoop. That seems to have worked pretty well.

Ta-da!



Here are a couple of detail shots:




(Ooops, I guess the chalk hasn't quite worn off...)

No comments:

Post a Comment